NEESR-II A Seismic Study of Wind Turbines for Renewable Energy (WTRU) (2010)
|PI:||A. Elgamal||UC San Diego|
|Co-PI:||C.M. Uang||UC San Diego|
|Co-PI:||J.P. Conte||UC San Diego|
|Co-PI:||J.E. Luco||UC San Diego|
|Student:||Ian Prowell||UC San Diego|
Ahmed Elgamal, firstname.lastname@example.org
The amount of electricity produced from the wind has steadily grown since its introduction in the 1980s and with the introduction of AB 32 is poised to grow substantially in California. Through support from the United States National Science Foundation (NSF) and specifically via the Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (NEES) and Oak Creek Energy Systems (OCES), a Gigawatt Wind Energy pioneer, a multiyear investigation into the seismic behavior of wind turbines is underway at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD).
This original research started with a forced and ambient vibration monitoring program at Oak Creek Energy Systems (OCES) with the assistance of the University of California, Los Angles (UCLA) NEES equipment site (http://nees.ucla.edu, Dr. Bob Nigbor, Director). Building on the inaugural UCSD NEES shake-table test under the direction of Prof. J. Restrepo, an upcoming expanded second phase of shake-table experimentation will explore the seismic response of an actual 65 kW turbine, standing over 80 feet tall, when subjected to strong earthquake motions. The NEES UCSD outdoor shake-table facility (http://nees.ucsd.edu, is the only location in the world that is capable of testing a full scale wind turbine.
- Prowell, I., Elgamal, A., Uang, C.-M., Luco, J.E., and Conte, J. (2011). "Recent Advances in Understanding the Seismic Response of Wind Turbines." NSF CMMI Research and Innovations Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, USA.
- Prowell, I., Schmidt, T., Elgamal, A., Uang, C.-M., Romanowitz, and H., Duggan,J.E. (2011). "Measuring Global Response of a Wind Turbine to Earthquake Shaking Assisted by Point Tracking Videogrammetry." 52nd AIAA/ASME/ASCE/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics and Materials Conference, Denver, Colorado, USA.
- Prowell, I., Elgamal, A., and Jonkman, J., (2010). "Seismic Response of a 5-MW Wind Turbine: The Shakeout Scenario." 9th US National and 10th Canadian Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.
- Prowell, I., Elgamal, A., and, Lu, J. (2010). "Modeling the Influence of Soil Structure Interaction on the Seismic Response of a 5 MW Wind Turbine." 5th International Conference on Recent Advances in Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering and Soil Dynamics in Honor of Professor I.M. Idriss, San Diego, California, USA.
- Prowell, I., Elgamal, A., Romanowitz, H., Duggan, J.E., and Jonkman, J. (2010). "Earthquake Response Modeling for a Parked and Operating Megawatt-Scale Wind Turbine," National Renewable Energy Laboratory, NREL/TP-5000-48242, Golden,Colorado, USA.
- Prowell, I., Elgamal, A., Jonkman, J., and Uang, C.M. (2010). "Estimation of Seismic Load Demand for a Wind Turbine in the Time Domain," National Renewable Energy Laboratory, NREL/CP-500-47536, Golden, Colorado, USA.
- Prowell, I. and Veers, P. (2009). "Assessment of Wind Turbine Seismic Risk: Existing Literature and Simple Study of Tower Moment Demand," Sandia National Laboratories, SAND2009-1100, Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA.
- Prowell, I., Elgamal, A., Lu, J., and, Luco, J. E. (2009). "Modal properties of a modern wind turbine including SSI." 17th International Conference on Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering, Alexandria, Egypt.
- Ahmed Elgamal, Ian Prowell, Joel Conte, J. Enrique Luco, Chia-Ming Uang, and Ziyad Duron (2009). "NEESR-II: A Seismic Study of Wind Turbines for Renewable Energy," Proceedings of the NSF Engineering Research and Innovation Conference, Honolulu, Hawaii, July.
- Prowell, I., Veletsos, M., and Elgamal, A., (2008). "Full Scale Testing for Investigation of Wind Turbine Seismic Response." Proceedings of the 7th World Wind Energy Conference, Kingston, Ontario, Canada.
- Prowell, I. and Elgamal, A., (2008). "Highway Bridge Testbed: Internet Accessibility of Data and Video in Real Time." Proceedings of the International Conference on Engineering Education, Pécs, Hungary.