Seismic Performance Assessment and Retrofit of Non-Ductile RC Frames with Infill Walls (2009)
|PI:||Benson Shing||UC San Diego|
|Co-PI:||Kaspar Willam||Univ. of Colorado, Boulder|
|Collaborator:||Sivaselvan Mettupalayam||Univ. of Colorado, Boulder|
|Student:||Andreas Stavridis||UC San Diego|
|Student:||Ioannis Koutromanos||UC San Diego|
|Student:||Ben Blackard||Univ. of Colorado, Boulder|
|Student:||Carlo Citto||Univ. of Colorado, Boulder|
Benson Shing, email@example.com
Researchers of UC San Diego conducted shake table tests on a 3-story, non-ductile, masonry-infilled, reinforced concrete frame representing structures built in California in the 1920's. The tests on the 2/3 scale specimen are part of the collaborative project between University of Colorado at Boulder, Stanford University and University of California San Diego, which is the lead institution. The research project is funded by the George E. Brown Jr. Network for Earthquake Engineering Simulation (NEES) and is already in its 4th and final year.
The goal of the research team led by Benson Shing, a UCSD structural engineering professor, is to develop and implement analytical tools to assess the seismic vulnerability of existing structures and techniques to retrofit them. To succeed in their goals, the researchers also collaborate with a Professional Advisory Panel, a group of practicing engineers from different parts of the country, with significant experience in analyzing and retrofitting this type of structures.
The focal point of this study has been a structure designed in UCSD to represent the building practice in California in the 1920's era. At that time infill panels were often considered as non-structural elements, but even nowadays their exact role and behavior during an earthquake is unclear since they interact with the bounding RC frame. Currently, there is a lack of reliable analysis methods to evaluate the seismic performance of these structures, and validated retrofit methods to improve their seismic behavior. The ultimate goal is to provide methods to assess and improve the seismic performance of historical buildings located in areas like downtown Los Angeles and San Francisco. However, the impact of this research project is larger since this type of structural system is very common in areas of high seismicity around the world, like China and the Mediterranean region.
The earthquake tests are conducted at the NEES@UCSD outdoor shake table which is part of the UCSD Jacobs School of Engineering's Englekirk Structural Engineering Center and also one of the 15 NEES testing facilities After the structure is tested to failure, the researchers will use the data to validate the analytical models and analyze the failure patterns and behavior of the structure so that they develop a scheme to retrofit a second specimen with the same design that will be built and tested in early 2009. These tests will conclude a series of tests ranging from small-scale quasi-static tests at Stanford to large-scale single-bay, single-story specimens at NEES@Colorado. The test data will be shared with the community for blind prediction analysis.
Non-Refereed Conference Publications
- Shing, P.B., Koutromanos, I., and Stavridis, A., "Shake-Table Tests and Numerical Study of the Seismic Performance of Non-Ductile RC Frames with Masonry Infill Walls," Proceedings, 7th International Conference on Urban Earthquake Engineering & 5th International Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Tokyo, Japan, March, 2010.
- Stavridis, A. and Shing, P.B., "Sensitivity Analysis of a Modeling Scheme for Masonry-Infilled RC Frames," Proceedings, SEAOC Convention, San Diego, CA, 2009.
- Shing, P.B., Restrepo, J., Stavridis, A., Koutromanos, I., Billington, S., Kyriakides, M., Willam, K., Mettupalayam, S., Blackard, B., Citto, C., "Experimental and Analytical Research on Masonry Infilled RC Frames," Proceedings, 2008 NSF Engineering Research and Innovation Conference, Knoxville, Tennessee, 2008.
- Stavridis, A. and Shing, P.B., "A Study on Masonry Infilled Non-Ductile RC Frames," Proceedings, 2nd NEES/E-Defense Workshop, Miki, Japan, October, 2006.
Refereed Conference Publications
- Koutromanos, I., Stavridis, A., and Shing, P.B., "Analysis of the Cyclic Behavior of Masonry-Infilled RC Frames using the Finite Element Method," Proceedings, 9th US National and 10th Canadian Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Toronto, Canada, July, 2010.
- Stavridis, A., Koutromanos, I., and Shing, P.B., "Shake-Table Tests of a Three-Story Masonry-Infilled RC Frame," Proceedings, 9th US National and 10th Canadian Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Toronto, Canada, July, 2010.
- Moaveni, B., Stavridis, A., and Shing, P.B., "System Identification of a Three-Story Infilled RC Frame Tested on the UCSD-NEES Shake Table," Proceedings, IMAC XXVIII: Conference & Exposition on Structural Dynamics, Jacksonville, Florida, February 2010.
- Moaveni, B., Lombaert, G., Stavridis, A., Conte, J.P., and Shing, P.B., "Damage Identification of a Three-Story Infilled RC Frame Tested on the UCSD-NEES Shake Table," Proceedings, IMAC XXVIII: Conference & Exposition on Structural Dynamics, Jacksonville, Florida, February 2010.
- Shing, P.B, Stavridis, A., Koutromanos, I., Willam, K., Blackard, B., Kyriakides, M.A., Billington, S.L., and Arnold, S., "Seismic Performance of Non-Ductile RC Frames with Brick Infill," Proceedings, Conference on Improving the Seismic Performance of Existing Buildings and Other Structures, Applied technology Council and Structural Engineering Institute, San Francisco, CA, December, 2009.
- Stavridis, A. and Shing, P.B., "Calibration of a Numerical Model for Masonry Infilled RC Frames," Proceedings, 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China, October, 2008.
- Shing, P.B, Stavridis, A., Koutromanos, I., Willam, K., "Experimental and Computational Studies of Seismic Performance of Masonry Infilled RC Frames," Proceedings, Workshop on Issues between Preservation and Safety Requirements after the Valsabbia and Garda Lake Earthquake, Salo, Italy, November, 2007.
- Stavridis, A. and Shing, P.B., "Modeling of Masonry Infilled RC Frames with Discrete and Smeared Crack Elements," Proceedings, ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, Crete, Greece, June, 2007.
Refereed Journal Publications
- Stavridis, A. and Shing, P.B., "Finite-Element Modeling of Nonlinear Behavior of Masonry-Infilled RC Frames," Journal of Structural Engineering, Vol. 136, No. 3, 2010. pp. 285-296.
- Koutromanos, I. and Shing, P.B., "A Cohesive Crack Model to Simulate Cyclic Response of Concrete and Masonry Structures," ACI Structural Journal (under review).
- Stavridis, A., Koutromanos, I., and Shing, P.B., "Shake-Table Tests of a Three-Story Reinforced Concrete Frame with Masonry Infill Walls," Journal of Earthquake Engineering and Structural Dynamics (under review).
- Stavridis, Andreas, "Analytical and Experimental Study of Seismic Performance of Reinforced Concrete Frames Infilled with Masonry Walls," Ph.D. Dissertation, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA, 2010.